3 medium onions, thinly sliced
12 oz bacon, sliced in 1 inch pieces
6 traditional pork sausages
2 carrots, peeled and finely sliced
3 potatoes, finely sliced
salt and pepper
2 cups beef stock
1 headed of cabbage (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large frying pan or skillet, heat the butter, add the onions and cook on a medium heat for about 4 minutes. Add the bacon to the onions and stir well. Cut the sausages in half and add these to the onion and bacon.
3. Raise the heat while stirring constantly. Cook until the sausages until they start to brown, careful not to burn the onions.
4. In a heat proof casserole pan, place a layer of the onion, bacon and sausage mixture followed by the layer of sliced carrots, cabbage and then a layer of potato. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat the layering until casserole pan is full, finishing with a layer of potato.
5. Pour stock over layers in casserole pan.
6. Cover with a lid or a double layer of aluminum foil. Place on the center rack of the oven and cook for 45 minutes. Occasionally check coddle to make sure it isn't drying out.
7. Lower the heat to 350°F and cook another 30 minutes (until bubbling and the potatoes are cooked through).
8. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with a great bread like Irish soda bread.